Read Our Blog Posts
Stay informed about the latest news and updates from Strength and Liberty Counseling and Consulting Service in Lakewood, California. Feel free to contact us to learn more.
|Posted on February 22, 2018 at 7:30 PM||comments (3)|
We all know that the new year is a time for renewal and starting off fresh and that often means setting goals for the next year. Did you set goals in January and are you looking at the calendar realizing that its almost the end of February and wondering how to keep your momentum going? You deserve to make this your year and you deserve to reach every goal you have your sights set on. There are some steps that you can take to help keep your eye on the prize in 2018 so that you can get through the year feeling motivated, accomplished and, most importantly, proud!
- Sometimes writing down your intentions is exactly what one needs to keep their eyes on the prize. Maybe you’re more of a visual type person? A picture or quote that you can look to often as a reminder is just as effective too.
- Don’t get overwhelmed. Understand that change and progress is a part of a whole process. Break your goals down into small steps and celebrate those small victories as you get nearer and nearer to reaching your accomplishments.
- We all carry our phones with us all the time so why not use our phones as a tool in helping us be our best selves? There are several apps that have been created to help you reach your goals with convenience and ease. Strides and GoalsOnTrack are two of the most popular apps that break down goals into smaller tasks or achievements with different variables whether you want to set daily, weekly or monthly goals.
- Hold yourself accountable by saying it out loud. Reach out to a friend that has maybe had a similar goal reaching experience as yours and tell him/her about what you’d like to accomplish. Make a plan to check-in with them and ask if they’ll help keep you honest and accountable.
- Be S.M.A.R.T. When you set your goals keep the S.M.A.R.T. method in mind. SPECIFIC. MEASURABLE. ATTAINABLE. RELEVANT. TIMELY.
|Posted on January 26, 2018 at 2:20 PM||comments (1)|
The holidays have come and gone and another year is here. If you’re like most people, you probably have goals set for yourself for the coming year. Perhaps you want to get in shape, spend more time with your family or even save money? We all have different goals but one common factor that we all have dealt with at one point in our lives or another is stress. You know that feeling. That pit in your stomach, worrying, gnawing feeling. Stress not only has its obvious psychological manifestations, but studies have shown that stress can lead to headaches, sleep problems, irritability and even depression (Mayo Clinic, 2017). How’s about taking on stress in 2018? While life does always throw curve balls, there are some skills you can begin to implement to help develop healthy stress management in your life. Check out 5 of our favorite tips to stress less this year:
1. Paper. Sometimes one of the easiest ways to relieve stress is to put it on paper. Write down what’s bothering you and what you’re worried about. Once you’ve written about it, you can step away and come back to it. This allows for reflection and insight into what exactly it is that is stressing you out and how to deal with it.
2. Sweat it out. Whether you go for a 5 minute walk or a 5 mile run, movement and physical activity release endorphins and energy that can help in calming you down and, ultimately, result in thinking more clearly.
3. Breathing. Maybe you’re in a situation where you can’t step outside and you don’t have time to write down your problems? One of the simplest ways to begin to calm the mind is to practice some stress relieving breathing exercises. One easy exercise is called 4-7-8. Breathe in for 4 seconds. Hold your breath for 7 seconds. Breathe out for 8 seconds. Do this a few times and you’ll start to feel a sense calm wash over your body.
4. Get your hands on something. Often times when we are stressed out, the last thing we want to focus on is a leisurely activity, however, that may be just what you need. So if you enjoy knitting, playing the guitar or any hands on hobby, take a minute and dive into your hobby. You may find that is exactly what you need to take your mind off of your stressors and hit your internal reset button!
5. Talk. We surround ourselves with people we love for the good times and the bad times. When you’re stressed out, a friend or loved one’s insight might be just what you need to adjust your perspective and manage your stress.